Himachal Pradesh
Back to Wetland Home Page
Chandertal is one of the high altitude wetland located in the cold desert of Lahua & Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh at an altitueof 4337 m above mean sea level.The wetland is situated in Chandertal wild life Sanctuary. The total arwa of sanctuary is 38.56 (3856 ha) and Protected Area is 61.50 ha) with Eco Sensitivie Zone. The Geographical location of wetland is Latitude 31°28’30” N and Langitude 77°37’ E.Chandertal catchment is an area of Meadows, rugged rocks, snow and scree. The area falls in the rain-shadow areas of Himalayas.The monsoon hardly penetrates and reaches the vallay in the form of misty drizzles. Precipitation occirs in the form of snow fall and mercury dips down to -40°C. during winter season. Chandertal area is covered by glacial type of soil which is not fully matured. the catchment area of this wetland is formed by the kunzam range which is covered with snow for most part of the year. Area is free form any human activity in the immediate vicinity. Approximately 65% of the catchment area is a degraded land due to glacial action, remaining 35% of the area is seasonal grazing. In view of unique Features & Ecologocial importance of the Chandertal Wetland has been declared as "RAMSAR SITE" in year 2005.
 The region of Chandertal is characteriaed by the oxygen deficiency, low atmospheric pressure, intense radiations, excessive coldness, aridity and revitalizing climate. The average snowfall recorded is 75cm. The winters are extremely cold with mercury dipping down -40°C. making it one of the coldest regions of the country.
The Social and cultural values assigned with this wetland include fisheries prouction, forestry, religious importance, archaeological sites, social relations with the wetland, etc. There is no permanent human settlement in the catchment area of wetland. However, from July to September, the migratory grazers erect temporary shelters. There are no commercial units in the vicinity of wetland. Since the whole area is devoid of vegetation and human settlement, hence no area in the vicinity of lake is used for agriculture.
The Chandertal wetland and its catchment area falls in the Alpine zone that is characterized by the absence of trees. The herbaceous growth is remarkable for its variety. The importnt species are Potentila, Ranunculus, Acquilegia, Primula, Aconitum, Aster, Asteraglus, Bistorta affinis, Delphinium, Geranium, Oxyria, Polygonium, Ranunculus, Rosularia, Stellaria and Thymus species belonging to family Ranunculaceae, Poaceae, Asteraceae, Polygonaceae, Rosaceae, Gentianaceae, Geraniaceae, Polygonaceae, Caryophyllaceae and Lamiaceae etc. The common grasses frequently encountered are Poa and Agropyron. These grasses have rich nutritive value. The faunal species like Marmot (Marmota bobak) snow leopard (Panthera), Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) Wild Chukar (Alectors Chukar), Goat (Capara ibex), Blue Sheep (Pseudois nayaur), Snow Cock (Tetrogallus spp), Black Winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus), Brahminy Duck (Todorna ferruginea), Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos).

THE WEBSITE SERVICE HAS BEEN DEVELOPED BY AGiSAC SHIMLA. The data has been supplied by the concerned agency and is under validation stage...AGiSAC owes no responsibility of accuracy thereof............